Parents and Grandparents sponsorship in 2017


Download the forms: Click here!

Changes to the Parents and Grandparents Program is likely to improve access to the application process. Until now, we have seen a first come, first serve approach adopted by IRC or immigration, Refugee and Citizenship of Canada. However 2017 Quotas are likely to be approached on a much different method of selection. This is how the process is likely to work:

Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents who want to apply as sponsors of their Parents or Grandparents must express their interest by filling an online form. This can be done between January 3, February 2 of 2017. You may not have access to the form after February 02, therefore try to do this between the specified time period. This can be done between January 3, 2017 at 12 pm or noon until noon of February 2, 2017. The following information may be asked in the form:

  • individual’s first name,
  • family name,
  • date of birth,
  • country of birth,
  • main home address,
  • postal code and
  • email address

Once this information is submitted, the sponsor should get a confirmation email with a confirmation number. This confirmation number must be preserved and it must be treated like a lottery, because IRCC will then randomly pick 10,000 applicants to apply and you may be one of the lucky ones. Those who are not picked this time may have the option to consider the same program in 2018. I think this throws some clarity on the program and now let us discuss what is required once you are actually picked or in other words, you have won the lottery!

This section will cover the following topics:

  • What undertaking should you sign for this sponsorship
  • Can you have a Co-Signer
  • Eligibility: The musts and must nots of this sponsorship

OK, now let us visit the first point, which is the written Undertaking you need to provide to the Minister.

The undertaking is a promise to provide financial support and basic requirements for the family members you are sponsoring.

Basic requirements are:

  • Food
  • Clothing
  • utilities
  • personal requirements
  • Shelter or housing
  • Fuel or transportation
  • Household supplies

This also includes other health care not provided by public health, such as eye and dental care.

The undertaking ensures that these persons and their family members do not have to apply for social assistance. The length of undertaking for sponsorship of parents, grandparents and their accompanying dependents is 20 years.

Your obligations as a sponsor begin as soon as the person you are sponsoring and, if applicable, his or her family members arrive in Canada.

Please keep this in mind: The undertaking is an unconditional promise of support. This is something you need to understand. For example, the granting of Canadian citizenship, divorce, separation or relationship breakdown or moving to another province does not cancel the undertaking. The undertaking also remains in effect even if your financial situation deteriorates. You must ensure the person/s you are sponsoring does not depend on social assistance.

Let us now go to the second point, which is if you can have a co-signer:

Your spouse or common-law partner may help you meet the income requirement by co-signing the sponsorship application. A common-law partner is a person who is living with you in a conjugal relationship and has done so for at least one year prior to the signing of the undertaking. This is being recorded and you may watch this video at The page will be up this weekend.

The co-signer must:

  • Meet the same eligibility requirements as the sponsor;
  • Agree to co-sign the undertaking;
  • Agree to be responsible for the basic requirements of the person you want to sponsor and his or her family members for the validity period of the undertaking.

The co-signer will be equally liable if obligations are not performed.

If your co-signer is a common-law partner, you must submit the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409). You can download this form on our website or as a fillable form directly from the IRC website!

Now let us discuss Eligibility:

In order to sponsor, you must

  • be 18 years of age or older;
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident;
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class, in this instance, a parent or grandparent
  • live in Canada;
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored;
  • sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities;
  • prove that you have sufficient income to provide the basic requirements for your family members in Canada as well as the persons included in your sponsorship undertaking. You may also have a co-signer.

Alright, now let us talk about ineligibility

You may NOT be able to sponsor if you…

  • are in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability,
  • are in default of an undertaking (we will discuss defaults in the final part of this video), an immigration loan, a performance bond, or family support payments,
  • are an undischarged bankrupt,
  • were convicted of an offense of a sexual nature, a violent criminal offense, an offense against a relative that results in bodily harm or an attempt or threat to commit any such offences—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offense, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
  • are under a removal order,
  • are detained in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison,


You are not eligible to sponsor if you are in default of a previous undertaking. If you are in default and you submit an application to sponsor, it will be refused and the sponsorship fees that you have paid will not be refunded or applied to subsequent sponsorship applications.

These are the type of defaults you may have encountered. If you are in default of…

  • A previous sponsorship undertaking: Relatives you sponsored in the past received social assistance or welfare while the undertaking was valid. You may not sponsor until you repay the full amount of any social assistance or welfare payment or repay the debt to the satisfaction of the government authority that issued the benefit or ordered you to pay.
  • An immigration loan: You received a transportation, assistance or Right of Permanent Residence Fee (previously called the Right of Landing Fee) loan and have missed payments or are in arrears. You may not sponsor until you pay all arrears on your loan. For more information, contact Collection Services at 1-800-667-7301 (in Canada and the United States only).
  • Support payment obligations: You were ordered by a court to make support payments to a spouse or child and have neglected to do so. You may not sponsor until you resolve the family support matter.
  • A performance bond: You agreed to pay money to guarantee that an immigrant would fulfill his or her obligations under immigration legislation. You may not sponsor until you pay the full amount of the bond.

I hope this video was of assistance to you, Polinsys deals with all types of immigration issues. If you want to be represented once you are picked, please contact our offices. Family Sponsorships is simple and straight forward and may not require representation, however we are here to assist those who need help for a fee. Feel free to use the free resources for this program at